Death Scare: Getting Back To Business

“The surgeon warned us not to expect miracles.

He said on a scale of 1 to 5, five being death, she was at a four. And if by some chance she did survive, we were to expect her to be paralyzed on one side, if not worse off.”

Nearly a year ago one of my in-laws suffered a brain aneurysm.

To save her life, Cottage Hospital in Santa Barbara kept her in a drug-induced coma for two months. Of course, on the morning of the aneurysm we immediately agreed to take in her then 13 year old and extremely distraught daughter. Being the youngest of two daughters and the only one living with her mom, our niece wanted to see her mother daily. Every day was expected to be the last. So one or more of us traveled round trip with my niece to Santa Barbara nearly every day for six months straight. Weekdays and weekends.

The recovery was touch and go. Every time the medical team tried bringing my in-law out of the coma she began to approach death.

Doctors Astounded By The Power Of Human Will

Well, after several months of therapy and recovery assistance, she was released to us. She didn’t die. But unfortunately it seemed she was partially handicapped both physically and mentally. But not as severe as was expected. At least not physically.

During her several months of in-facility care and outpatient therapy, my life was dedicated to helping her recover. And dedicated to helping my niece return to and maintain a semi-normal childhood. Why me? Since I work from a home office the logical conclusion was that I should be available to assist them. After all, how much trouble could it be to help her transition back to a normal life? I’d probably not even notice them there.

Well, it wasn’t easy. For any of us. 12 hour days dedicated to chauffeuring the two of them. Medical appointments as early as 6:30 a.m. and appointments and care lasting until late evenings with multiple therapy appointments, SSI appointments, shopping for them, and toting her around to a number of pharmacies and government and court agencies and taking my niece to and from school and after-school activities left me with little time for much of anything else. Literally more than 12 hours a day were spent caring for the two of them. Often way more. So I avoided taking on any new clients while they were with us. Adding more work would have been irresponsible. If not impossible.

In the end I feel all this self-sacrificing effort may have been for naught.

The Secret To Success Is
Accepting Help When It Appears

While with us, she continued to resist help and tried secretly pursing the bad lifestyle that may have lead to the aneurysm in the first place. She is pursuing a self-destructive course that is putting herself and anyone around her at serious risk. And she wants it that way. So we kicked her out. Twice. Hoping she’d clean up her life and straighten up. That didn’t happen. So it looks like the second time is for good.

About Andre Bell
Andre strives to help marketers discover the near-immediate impact of honest ethical marketing practices. He has advised hundreds of business owners on how to keep their dignity as they implement direct response marketing methods that work. Andre is one of only a handful of remaining professionals who can boast having become an online marketer a decade before the World Wide Web came into existence. And as a serial entrepreneur Andre launched his first direct mail business around the age of 12-years old. He has been building and advising ever since.

Page 1 of 3
First | Prev | 1 | 2 | 3 | Next | Last
View All